Re: Encoding localizable sentences (was: RE: UTC Document Register Now Public)

From: William_J_G Overington <wjgo_10009_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 11:27:44 +0100 (BST)

On Saturday 20 April 2013, Erkki I Kolehmainen <eik_at_iki.fi> wrote:

> I'm sorry to have to admit that I cannot follow at all your train of thought on what would be the practical value of localizable sentences in any of the forms that you are contemplating. In my mind, they would not appear to broaden the understanding between different cultures (and languages), quite the contrary.

Well, most of the localizable sentences are not intended to broaden the understanding between different cultures (and languages). Broadening the understanding between different cultures (and languages) is a good thing, at an appropriate time. Localizable sentences are intended to assist communication through the language barrier for particular circumstances, which is a different situation.

For example, seeking information about relatives and friends after a disaster in a country whose language one does not know.

I have produced some simulations.

Please consider the simulations in the locse027_four_simulations.pdf document that is available from the following forum post.

http://forum.high-logic.com/viewtopic.php?p=16264#p16264

Consider please a derivative work of simulation 2. Simulation 2 is in pages 8 through to 17 of the pdf document.

Let us suppose that, in this derivative version of simulation 2, that the Information Management Centre is located in Finland and that the native language of Sonja is Finnish.

---- enter simulation

Sonja has, at various times, three different messages displayed upon the screen of the computer that she is using.

There is the message from Albert Johnson.

There is Sonja's first reply to Albert Johnson.

There is Sonja's second reply to Albert Johnson.

The messages are displayed in Finnish on the screen of the computer that Sonja is using.

---- leave simulation

Now, if the three messages that are written in English in the text of the simulations as I wrote them were each translated into Finnish then the text of the derivative simulation could include those three messages in Finnish as well as in English. That would provide a good simulation of how the messages would be displayed on the computer screen that Sonja is using and on the computer screen that Albert Johnson is using.

I am hoping to prepare Simulation 6 to show a simulation where the localizable sentences could be encoded within a plain text message using localizable sentence markup bubbles and Simulation 7 where there is a mixture of the two encoding methods. This will need first of all a new version of the font so as to have symbols for the localizable sentence markup bubble brackets and ten localizable digits for use solely within localizable sentence markup bubbles.

I am then hoping to prepare a document to send to the Unicode Technical Committee making reference to the simulations.

The purpose of the document that I am hoping to prepare for the Unicode Technical Committee is to ask for consideration of whether the scope of Unicode should be widened so as to allow for localizable items to become encoded in plane 13 at some future time.

Those localizable items, at present, would be two localizable sentence markup bubble brackets, ten localizable digits for use solely within localizable sentence markup bubbles, a number of localizable sentences and a number of localizable stand-alone phrases.

Each localizable item encoded within plane 13 would have an associated symbol for display in situations where automated localization were either not available or were not switched on.

If the scope of Unicode becomes widened in this way, this will provide a basis upon which those people who so choose may research and develop localizable sentence technology with the knowledge that such research and development could, if successful, lead to encoding in plane 13 of the Unicode system.

William Overington