Re: Encoding localizable sentences (was: RE: UTC Document Register Now Public)

From: William_J_G Overington <wjgo_10009_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 09:33:36 +0100 (BST)

On Monday 22 April 2013, Asmus Freytag <asmusf_at_ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> I'm afraid that any proposal submitted this way would just become the basis for a rejection "with prejudice".

Well, the rules could be changed. I feel that the existing position is not suitable for the advances in ideas that are taking place with pure electronic publications and communications. It is not the same situation as coining a new word where the new word only becomes included in the Oxford English Dictionary once the new word has an amount of use by people other than the person who coined the word. Not the same because with a new word there is not an associated character code point. Achieving widespread use using a Private Use Area code point is not an easy matter for an individual.

> Independent of the lack of technical merit of the proposal, the utter lack of support (or use) by any established community would make such a proposal a non-starter.

Only because rules made long ago before many recent advances in technology have not been updated for modern times.

? Mr. Overington is quite aware of what would be the inevitable outcome of submitting an actual proposal, that's why he keeps raising this issue with some regularity here on the open list.

Well I am aware of the present rules.

The reason that I started the thread from which this thread was derived is solely because of an announcement by the Unicode Consortium.

http://unicode-inc.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/utc-document-register-now-public.html

quote

This change has been made to increase public involvement in the ongoing deliberations of the UTC in its work developing and maintaining the Unicode Standard and other related standards and reports.

end quote

Given this new openness by the Unicode Consortium I felt that it was worthwhile seeking to put forward my ideas for consideration by the committee.

The http://www.unicode.org/timesens/calendar.html web page at present shows that the next meeting of the Unicode Technical Committee is due to start on 6 May 2013.

The http://www.unicode.org/pending/docsubmit.html web page includes the following.

quote

Once a document is received and accepted for posting to the registry, we will assign a document number to it and tell you the number for future reference. We usually update the document registry when several new documents have accumulated in our queue, so your document may not be posted immediately after acceptance.

end quote

I feel that it would be helpful if there were a change of policy and each time a document is accepted for addition to the document registry that it becomes added to the document registry immediately rather than waiting in a queue. I do not know if there are or are not any documents in a queue at present. The Unicode Consortium has declared that it wishes to increase public involvement, so why the queue system?

William Overington