RE: Ways to show Unicode contents on Windows?

From: Peter Constable <petercon_at_microsoft.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2013 03:19:44 +0000

> Why would one NEED to upgrade the OS to use Old Italic?

You can't expect an OS like Windows XP to support Old Italic characters that weren't even defined in Unicode at the time it shipped. (Likewise for any OS version in relation to characters yet to be encoded.) There was no way to know at that time what character might be assigned to some as-yet-unassigned code point, and hence what behaviours it would have.

That said, it turns out that a given version of Windows does support later-encoded characters such as Old Italic that have no special requirements fairly well -- provided you have a font and format your content with that font.

Peter