Re: Latvian and Marshallese Ad Hoc Report (cedilla and comma below)

From: Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2013 16:14:31 +0200

So the variation of shape (vertical stick, half-ring, curved comma, or
classical 5-shaped) and is attachment or not (below the letter) is
perceived as being less significant than the horizontal placement of the
cedilla (centered or below the right-most stem).

Only Romanian seems to insist to use the comma shape, but the usage
demonstrates that this is in reality not so much important if it's
comma-shaped or 5-shaped, or half-ring shaped. This means that
disunifiation for Romanian was not really justified, this is just a
preference of style (just like other preferences between fonts)

In fact the Fraktur style for Latin would probably merit separate encoding
than these variants of the comma or cedilla below, because of its very
different way to compose graphemes.

And I still wonder why the classical German umlaut, with a combining small
'e' above, also in Fraktur style, is still unified with the modern style
that borrowed the diaeresis shape when, at the same time, the diaeresis
shape was also used distinctly in Fraktur style for other languages than
German which has NO diaeresis; e.g. transcriptions of French names or pages
of old books with mixed French/German. Reusing the same code between old
German and modern German seems to forget that the change was more than just
a change of style, but was in reality a change of orthography (I don't like
the fact of using the diaeresis for old German in Fraktur style, even if it
better matches the modern orthography).