RE: _Unicode_code_page_and_☃.net

From: Doug Ewell <doug_at_ewellic.org>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 12:26:06 -0700

Buck Golemon <buck at yelp dot com> replied to Richard Wordingham
<richard dot wordingham at ntlworld dot com>:

>>> There are no Unicode code pages.
>>
>> Just to be pedantic, there are several on Windows. They encode the
>> coding form (Unicode codes being best thought of as an assignment of
>> natural numbers to characters, with certain approved ways of storing
>> those numbers), e.g. Code pages 1200 (little-endian UTF-16), 1201
>> (big-endian UTF-16), 12000 (little-endian UTF-32), 12001 (big-endian
>> UTF-32), 65000 (UTF-7) and 65001 (UTF-8).
>
> I shudder to imagine the circumstances that forced you to learn this
> information.

Most Windows .NET developers who are concerned about proper character
handling would know this information existed, though they might not have
the numbers memorized.

Jukka was right, though: Unicode itself does not have code pages.
Rather, at least one vendor has defined some of the Unicode encoding
schemes as if they were code pages. A code page is not, in general, the
same as an encoding scheme.

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, CO, USA
http://ewellic.org | @DougEwell ­