Re: polytonic Greek: diacritics above long vowels ᾱ, ῑ, ῡ

From: Stephan Stiller <stephan.stiller_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2013 00:24:13 -0700

I've seen information concerning this
> we can no longer encode new precomposed characters for grapheme
> clusters that are already encoded in any existing standard form
many times, though I'm not in a position to verify all of your content.
I'm also not proposing to add precomposed {ᾱ,ῑ,ῡ}-with-diacritics.

But as precomposed ᾱ, ῑ, ῡ are in TUS, one cannot but assume that it was
(wherever the first decision was made, perhaps for another standard) for
people who care about Ancient Greek. Because Modern Greek has 5 vowels
without a length distinction. And Katharevousa doesn't have an
orthographic macron. I hope it's clear what I'm asking: why did ₍whoever
precomposed that much₎ go halfway? Because potentially having three
combining diacritics above α, ι, υ is expected to be typographically
difficult but having two is not /(doubtful as a conscious decision)/? A
possible answer could be "<some of what Philippe wrote> and ᾱ, ῑ, ῡ were
in <standard X> already".

Stephan