Re: Why blackletter letters?

From: Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 19:53:10 +0200

The rationale is most probably the same for ALL existing mathematical
"letters" : they are the same letters, but their specific encoding is done
so that it explicitly specifies a rendering style which is significant in
mathematical notations, where they are not really letters but formal
symbols with a very precise visual identity to differentiate them between
each other.

The encoding in U+1D52x is probably too precise for something else than
just math notations. The new encoding in U+AB3x is necessarily for somthing
else than maths, otherwise it should have not occured.

Symbols encoded in U+1Dxxx are not suitable for anything else than
notations of mathemetical or scientific formulas or diagrams. But then, why
some letters were unified with other existing letters in other blocks? can
you explain the few holes in the encoded math alphabets for something else
than just compatibility with prior texts?