Re: Origin of Ellipsis

From: Stephan Stiller <stephan.stiller_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2013 19:25:03 -0700

:-)
> Lots of people still do this. I did until a year or two ago.
I also use non-standard punctuation, but I tend to know what majority
practice is, and when I deviate it's intentional. I don't know about
you, but nearly everyone who tells me that "you should use two spaces"
("should"? says who?) doesn't really know what majority or print usage
is and just insists.

If it's no longer done in most book and periodical printing, you can't
really teach people that they should do it "because that's how people do
it". Just like you can't teach people that they "must" write "U.S." and
"Ph.D." if many of the relevant official institutions no longer typeset
things that way themselves.

Stephan