Re: Code point vs. scalar value

From: Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 00:52:34 +0200

2013/9/19 Asmus Freytag <asmusf_at_ix.netcom.com>

> On 9/18/2013 3:14 PM, Philippe Verdy wrote:
>
> I would propose exactly the opposite of what you want: avoid using "scalar
> value" alone. But only speak about 'Unicode scalar value character
> property".
>

> If it is a property, it would be a code point property...

For exactness, you're right, because surrogates are not (abstract)
characters encoded in the UCS but only code points.
Thanks for this correction !

But the UCD and contents of the standard text are listing... oh well...
only the so-called "character properties"

So this is still a terminologic problem. In general the terms should not be
isolated from the standard that defines and then uses them. The standard
should be named (or infered unambiguously in the context of use, at least
with an intro paragraph or by an hyperlink to the definition, in rich-text
formats, or by a footer note in printed documents). But you cannot infer
safely the context with the terms "scalar value" alone (the same is true
when one speaks just about "characters" when in fact we are speaking about
abstract characters of the UCS repertoire).