Re: New arrows?

From: Ilya Zakharevich <nospam-abuse_at_ilyaz.org>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2013 19:06:05 -0700

On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 02:34:19PM +0200, Jean-François Colson wrote:
> Hello
>
> Trying to solve a 2 × 2 × 2 Rubik’s cube, I was looking for some
> help on the web when I found a handful of unknown arrows.
> I had never seen them before, but I understood their meaning at first sight.
> Since they are used in sequences to describe Rubik’s cube movements,
> I wonder whether they’re worth a proposal.
>
> To describe them concisely, they consist of the arrows ← or → with a
> long dash above or below, and of the arrows ↑ or ↓ with a long dash
> on the left or on the right.
>
> Here is the web page where I found them:
> http://omegalima.free.fr/rubiks/2x2x2/
>
> There already are arrows with dashes in Unicode: ⥪ ⥫ ⥬ ⥭ .

A) To me, these 4 characters look like “equality with barbs”, not like arrows.

B) The characters you propose — they are not in text context. They
   are just icons. I do not think these examples could be proper
   examples for a proposal (but I’m not an expert).

C) Without seeing the proposed characters in text context it is not
   clear how do you want them to be aligned: on baseline, v-centered,
   or what?

D) Depending on answer in (C), the proposed shapes might be created by
   just combining underline/overline with arrows, and/or combining
   underarrow/overarrow with over/underlines.

Ilya