Re: Best practice of using regex on identify none-ASCII email address

From: Mark Davis ☕ <mark_at_macchiato.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2013 14:19:13 +0100

I'm not saying that what is sent to the server has to be those bytes; I'm
saying that if we use the convention that punctuation, whitespace, etc gets
escaped, it would allow us to recognize the boundaries of the local part in
plain text.

I think what you mention is part of a more general problem. Let's suppose
that I have an email address where the bytes that the server recognizes for
the local part are <61 B3>@foo.com. I convert that using Latin-14 to aġ@
foo.com. I send it in an email to you, and you receive it as UTF-8. You see
aġ@foo.com, but underneath the covers it is bytes <61 C4 A1>. But then you
send to the server <61 C4 A1>@foo.com, and it fails. Or worse yet, reaches
someone whose email is aġ@foo.com. (Ok, I could have poked around and
found a more compelling example, but you see the point).

If I really wanted to be absolutely certain that my email wouldn't be
munged by a conversion, I'd never convert from bytes: we'd never see "
mark_at_foo.com", we'd always see the equivalent of %6D%61%72%6B_at_foo.com.

Mark <https://google.com/+MarkDavis>
*
*
*— Il meglio è l’inimico del bene —*