Re: Question about “Uppercase” in DerivedCoreProperties.txt

From: Philippe Verdy <verdy_p_at_wanadoo.fr>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 20:08:40 +0100

The equivalent of strtolower() and strtoupper() is implemented in all C
libraries I know (yes, including glibc) and I have worked with on various
OSes (and since very long!), even if their names change (because of the
unfortunate lack of standardization about their interaction with C locales).

The standardisation of these two functions should have already been
made since very long, even if the locales support could be limited to the
legacy basic C locale with limited functionality, where these functions
would just scan characters through strings to convert them with toupper()
and to lower(). But then glibc and other libraries wiould have implemented
this standard.
For now, we still need complex "config" scripts to detect the correct
headers to include, or to provide a basic implementation via various macros.

The standard C++ "string" package could have then used this standard
internally in the methods exposed in its API. I cannot understand this
simple effort was never done on such basic functionality needed and used in
almost all softwares and OSes.