Re: Origin of the digital encoding of accented characters for Esperanto

From: Asmus Freytag <asmusf_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2015 21:56:09 -0700

On 3/23/2015 10:44 AM, Ken Whistler wrote:
> And the question, instead, then becomes tracking down through
> the ancient history of JTC1/SC2/WG3 (<-- Note *3*, not *2*),
> why the participants who drafted 8859-3 felt it was important
> to include the Esperanto letters in the repertoire for the South
> European set back in 1986. That date, by the way, is earlier than
> anything I have firsthand records for.

ECMA was actively involved in developing these sets and published them
as parallel standard (ECMA-94, second edition, 1986).

http://www.ecma-international.org/publications/files/ECMA-ST/Ecma-094.pdf

ECMA had a very close working relation with ISO, some of that history
can be tracked down in snippets on the web; but sadly, most of the
active participant in developing the early editions of the 8859 series
would have passed away by now.

A./