Proposed Update UTR #51, Unicode Emoji (Version 5.0)

From: <announcements_at_unicode.org>
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2016 12:16:24 -0800

flag imageA proposed update of UTR #51, Unicode Emoji (Version 5.0)
<http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr51/tr51-10.html> is available for
public review and feedback. This new version adds a mechanism to support
regional flags, such as Scotland or California, though the choice of
which of these flags to support is left to vendors.

Associated charts are available at
http://www.unicode.org/emoji/charts-beta/index.html, and associated data
files are available at http://www.unicode.org/Public/emoji/5.0/. This
proposed update also has a separate data file for the valid emoji
presentation sequences, and reflects a small change in the ordering of
SELFIE. The charts also add the newest Apple and Facebook emoji.

At this time, the proposed update does not add any additional
recommended emoji zwj sequences, nor reclassify any existing Unicode 9.0
characters as emoji. There are proposals for doing so that will be
reviewed in the next Unicode Technical Committee meeting.

The review period for the proposed update ends on January 16, 2017. For
further information and instructions on how to provide feedback, please
see Public Review Issue #343 <http://www.unicode.org/review/pri343/>.

This holiday season you can give a unique gift by adopting any emoji,
letter, or symbol --- and help support the Unicode Consortium's mission
to enable all languages to be used on computers. You can now adopt
Unicode 9.0 characters /and /the Emoji 4.0 emoji sequences (such as
woman astronaut or rockstar). See the Adopt-a-Character Page
<http://www.unicode.org/consortium/adopt-a-character.html>.

http://blog.unicode.org/2016/12/proposed-update-utr-51-unicode-emoji.html

----
All of the Unicode Consortium lists are strictly opt-in lists for members
or interested users of our standards. We make every effort to remove
users who do not wish to receive e-mail from us. To see why you are getting
this mail and how to remove yourself from our lists if you want, please
see http://www.unicode.org/consortium/distlist.html#announcements