Re: Should U+3248 ... U+324F be wide characters?

From: Asmus Freytag via Unicode <unicode_at_unicode.org>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2017 12:04:51 -0700
On 8/16/2017 7:23 AM, Philippe Verdy via Unicode wrote:
These squared (or circled) characters however do not have registered variants for digits with descenders (used in traditional typographic fonts for Latin), such as 4, 7 or 9, or variable-width digits (not using the more modern digits with "figure-space" fixed width), but I think the later would not require such variant given that it's more the width of the enclosing square (or circle) which is important, and digits will be adjusted in width and interdigit gaps, as needed to fit.

This ^^ is a bit of a non-sequitur. From an encoding perspective, we don't care what types of digits a font uses for these; users will want the total with of the symbols to be fixed so they work well in numbering lists, etc., but that doesn't constrain the interior design. I'm not surprised that there are no registered variants, because some of the number styles, like descenders, really wouldn't look good.

End of digression.

A./