Major vendors changing U+1F52B PISTOL πŸ”« depiction from firearm to squirt gun

From: Abe Voelker via Unicode <unicode_at_unicode.org>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2018 10:53:35 -0500

Hello,

I'm curious if there has been any discussion on all the major vendors
changing this emoji's depiction? (
https://blog.emojipedia.org/all-major-vendors-commit-to-gun-redesign/)

As a user I find it troublesome because previous messages I've sent using
this character on these platforms may now be interpreted differently due to
the changed representation. That aspect has me wondering if this change is
in line with Unicode standard conformance requirements.

Regards,
Abe Voelker