Corrigendum #9

Markus Scherer at
Sun Jun 1 11:07:40 CDT 2014

On Sun, Jun 1, 2014 at 7:49 AM, Karl Williamson <public at>

> Thanks, I had not thought about that.  I'm thinking wording something like
> this is more appropriate
> "Noncharacters may be openly interchanged, but it is inadvisable to do so
> without prior agreement, since at each stage any of them might be replaced
> by a REPLACEMENT CHARACTER or otherwise disposed of, at the sole discretion
> of that stage's implementation."

I think that would invite again the kinds of implementations that triggered
Corrigendum #9, where you couldn't use CLDR files with Gnome-based tools
(plain text editors, file diff tools, command-line terminal) if the files
contained noncharacters. (CLDR data uses them for boundary mappings in
collation data.)