Corrigendum #9

Markus Scherer at
Mon Jun 2 12:17:04 CDT 2014

On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 10:00 AM, Shawn Steele <Shawn.Steele at>

> To further my understanding, can someone provide examples of how these are
> used in actual practice?

CLDR collation data defines special contraction mappings that start with a
noncharacter, for

In CLDR 23 and before (when we were still using XML collation syntax),
these were raw noncharacters in the .xml files.

As I said earlier:
it should be ok to include noncharacters in CLDR data files for processing
by CLDR implementations, and it should be possible to edit and diff and
version-control and web-view those files etc.