Corrigendum #9

Shawn Steele Shawn.Steele at
Mon Jun 2 12:50:18 CDT 2014

Hmm, I find that disconcerting.  I’d prefer a real Unicode character with special weights if that concept’s needed.  And I guess that goes a long ways to explaining the interchange problem since clearly the code editor’s going to need these ☹

From: Markus Scherer [ at]
Sent: Monday, June 2, 2014 10:17 AM
To: Shawn Steele
Subject: Re: Corrigendum #9

On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 10:00 AM, Shawn Steele <Shawn.Steele at<mailto:Shawn.Steele at>> wrote:
To further my understanding, can someone provide examples of how these are used in actual practice?

CLDR collation data defines special contraction mappings that start with a noncharacter, for

In CLDR 23 and before (when we were still using XML collation syntax), these were raw noncharacters in the .xml files.

As I said earlier:
it should be ok to include noncharacters in CLDR data files for processing by CLDR implementations, and it should be possible to edit and diff and version-control and web-view those files etc.