Default case algorithms

Markus Scherer at
Tue Jun 24 16:01:32 CDT 2014

On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 6:46 PM, Daniel Bünzli <daniel.buenzli at>

> Having a look at the data it seems that the Uppercase_Mapping property of
> UCD includes (using the terminology of SpecialCasing.txt):
> * All the unconditional mappings of SpecialCasing.txt (context independent)
> * None of the conditional mapping of SpecialCasing.txt (context dependent)
> * None of the language sensitive mappings (context and language dependent)
> So what am I implementing if I just map a string using XML UCD’s
> Uppercase_Mapping property ? Is that Unicode’s default uppercase mapping ?

I don't think it's any standard mapping at all.

Sorry, I don't use the UCD XML files, and it's been a while since I looked
at them.
(For my use for ICU, they were missing some things, I guess including these
pieces, and they were including things I didn't need. So I kept improving
my .txt file parser instead. YMMV)