Gaps in Mathematical Alphanumeric Symbols

Andrew West andrewcwest at
Thu Mar 10 13:48:03 CST 2016

On 10 March 2016 at 19:09, Oren Watson <oren.watson at> wrote:
> Is there a standard denoting which characters are part of each "mathematical
> variable alphabet"? There is a table on Wikipedia
> <>
> but the placement of characters into the gaps is unsourced. Perhaps I'm
> overthinking this, but I don't think it's necessarily obvious that the
> character BLACK-LETTER CAPITAL C should be used as the nonexistent character
> *MATHEMATICAL FRAKTUR CAPITAL C. Is there a document clarifying this?

Yes, the code charts in the Unicode Standard:

The annotation for each reserved code point refers to the character
that logically belongs there.


More information about the Unicode mailing list