WAP Pictogram Specification as Emoji Source
christoph.paeper at crissov.de
Mon Feb 13 03:39:41 CST 2017
Christoph Päper <christoph.paeper at crissov.de> 2016-01-07:
> I just discovered the WAP Pictogram specification (WAP-213-WAPInterPic), last published in April 2001 and updated in November 2001.
There was a subsequent update by OMA in 2006, but it didn’t change any pictogram.
> Reading through section 7 Pictogram Set, it’s obvious that WAP pictograms have been unified with Japanese (i-mode) emojis upon their encoding in Unicode 6+.
There were references to WAP in L2/07-257 and L2/08-081, for instance.
> However, the mapping is not obvious in all cases and I think there are some pictograms that have been omitted / forgotten or could have better annotation,
I’ve put my best guesses for equivalent emojis onto Github:
I still think there are some entries without proper corresponding emoji. Would that suffice as a reason for adding them?
- animal/beetle – unless same as animal/ladybird
- emotion/shakenHeart – unless beating heart is appropriate
- emotion/shine – Sparkles ✨ may or may not be appropriate
- map/park – maybe Fountain ⛲️, not obvious
- map/zoo – perhaps any non-pet animal
- music/rest – is that what 〽️ or 〰️ means?
More information about the Unicode