Draft Emoji Candidates
The following emoji characters are candidates for inclusion in a future version of Unicode. These characters are not final! The characters were based on proposals received by the Unicode Consortium, reviewed by the Unicode Emoji Subcommittee, and selected on the basis of the Emoji Selection Factors in Submitting Emoji Proposals. That page also describes the Process and Timeline for proposals.
See also Provisional Candidates.
Provisional candidates are subject to prioritization, and may not included be in the next release of Unicode. Temporary IDs are assigned, not code points. Draft candidates are “short-listed”, and have been assigned draft code points, but are still subject to change or removal. Final candidates will be in the next release of Unicode, but do not have final code points or properties.
The Attributes column contains provisional information about the candidate:
- X indicates that the character (tentatively) would be after X in Emoji Ordering.
- modifier_base indicates that the character would allow skin-tone modifiers
- gender_base indicates that the character would have ZWJ sequences for gender
- component indicates that the character is used as a component of a sequence, and is not normally listed separately on emoji keyboards.
Feedback on the CLDR Short Name, Keywords, ordering, and category is welcome.
When looking at the linked proposals for candidates or accepted characters it is important to keep two points in mind:
- New proposals must follow the form in Submitting Emoji Proposals. This form may have changed since earlier proposals were submitted.
- The UTC may accept a proposal for reasons other than those stated in the proposal, and does not necessarily endorse or consider relevant all of the proposed reasons.
|None at this time.|
The following changes were made in the January 2016 UTC meeting to the draft candidates for 2018, which were then advanced to final candidates.
- Additional emoji sequences were added.
- 15 for superhero and 15 for supervillain (5 for each gender variant: neutral, man, woman)
- One new ‘emojification’ was added.
- chess pawn
- Some characters had names or keyword changes for clarity.