Emoji Candidates (Provisional)
Index & Help | Images & Rights | Spec | Proposing Additions
The following emoji characters are candidates for inclusion in a future version of Unicode. These characters are not final! The characters were based on proposals received by the Unicode Consortium, reviewed by the Unicode Emoji Subcommittee, and selected on the basis of the Emoji Selection Factors in Submitting Emoji Proposals. That page also describes the Process and Timeline for proposals.
See also Draft Candidates.
Provisional candidates are subject to prioritization, and may not included be in the next release of Unicode. Temporary IDs are assigned, not code points. Draft candidates are “short-listed”, and have been assigned draft code points, but are still subject to change or removal. Final candidates will be in the next release of Unicode, but do not have final code points or properties.
The Attributes column contains provisional information about the candidate:
- X indicates that the character (tentatively) would be after X in Emoji Ordering.
- modifier_base indicates that the character would allow skin-tone modifiers
- gender_base indicates that the character would have ZWJ sequences for gender
- component indicates that the character is used as a component of a sequence, and is not normally listed separately on emoji keyboards.
The count of new variants is in the Other Keywords column, such as “➕ 5 Ⓒ ‧ 🏿”. The abbreviations and symbols are documented in Emoji Counts Key, and the symbol meanings can be seen by hovering with a mouse. Where the last Sample cell is marked with the symbol ➕, there is a row for an pre-existing character that has new gender and/or modifier variants. For example, ➕ 5 Ⓒ ‧ 🏿 means that additional 5 skintone variants on the original character are added, and ➕ 20 Ⓩ ‧ 🏿 means 20 zwj sequences are added, used to compose two other characters with a skintone on each.
Feedback on the CLDR Short Name, Keywords, ordering, and category is welcome.
When looking at the linked proposals for candidates or accepted characters it is important to keep two points in mind:
- New proposals must follow the form in Submitting Emoji Proposals. This form may have changed since earlier proposals were submitted.
- The UTC may accept a proposal for reasons other than those stated in the proposal, and does not necessarily endorse or consider relevant all of the proposed reasons.
|None at this time.|