ISO Questions

From: Hart, Edwin F. (HartEF1@bisdpo1.bisdnet.jhuapl.edu)
Date: Thu Sep 28 1995 - 13:53:00 EDT

Dear Mr. Helck,

I am not a lawyer and I don't work for ISO. This is my personal opinion.

I cannot tell the country where you work from your e-mail address, but
generally the standards organization in your country would be able to give
you authoritative answers. In the US, it is ANSI in New York City.

212.642-4900 (voice)
212.302-1286 (fax)

If you use ISO standards in your products, you should be able to say that
without worrying about copyright issues. That is why ISO develops
standards. If you need to duplicate an ISO standard in your documentation,
then you have a copyright issue. If you need to duplicate a major part of
the standard or the main part of a standard, you likely have a copyright
issue. If you need to document a small number of the country or currency
codes, this should likely not be a copyright issue. However, if you need to
duplicate all of them, you need to discuss the copyright issue because this
is the main part of the standard.

Several years ago, I wanted to duplicate the 7-bit ASCII and the ISO 8859
code tables in a report that I was editing. To me, the code tables were the
main part of the standard. I sent copies of the material to ANSI, we
discussed how the report was going to be used (e.g., were we getting money
for it? was it for a commercial product?), and they granted permission to
use the code tables.

I would suggest that you discuss the issue with your national standards
organization and realize that it may take they some time to make a decision.

Good luck,
Ed Hart