Re: SIL (was Re: Reopening RFC 1766 - Language Tags)

From: KNAPPEN@VKPMZD.kph.Uni-Mainz.DE
Date: Fri Nov 17 1995 - 17:44:36 EST

Just to cite one example: The whole treatment of german and its dialects is
a complete mess and has not much to do with reality. (See dtv-Atlas der
deutschen Sprache, Deutscher Taschenbuch-Verlag for details...).

For better references I just want to mention

a) The list of languages given in the appendix of the Cambridge encylopedia
of language. This list employs a cut-off at 10 thousand speakers, except the
language is of specific linguistic interest and contains about 1000
languages.

b) The standard book by Voegelin and Voegelin

(Sorry for not having ISBN etc. at my terminal).

--J"org Knappen.

P.S. I don't attempt to spend volunteer work on SIL's messed up database.
And I cannot accept any standard based on it.