RE: HTML - i18n / NCR & charsets

From: Peter Amstein (peteram@microsoft.com)
Date: Thu Nov 28 1996 - 01:01:49 EST

FrontPage 97 does (a), (b) and (c) correctly. While I'm not sure I
approve
of the term "cheesy", it is true that FrontPage 1.0 and
FrontPage 1.1 write named character references for all characters
greater than 127. As pointed out below, those programs were only
designed for use with code page 1252 or ISO Latin 1. In retrospect
I wish we had not done that, but we did.

FrontPage 97 does not automatically "fix" the named character references
in a page it reads because that would be incompatible with item (c),
which is to always interpret them as the actual character named.

Microsoft does provide fix-up programs that will convert all of the
named references in an HTML file to the corresponding octet,
thereby allowing you fix a page before opening it with FrontPage 97.

-Peter Amstein