Re: Unicode Operating Systems

From: Adrian Havill (havill@threeweb.ad.jp)
Date: Tue Jul 15 1997 - 23:27:10 EDT

I wrote:
> the entire OS is 1.5 MB (including the hardware abstraction
> layer) on a RISC (meaning fat binaries) CPU-- the kernel, including the
> User and GDI, is 700 KB

(of the total 1.5MB).

> I don't know how large the ROM footprint
> increased with the addition of Japanese fonts, but I'm sure that it
> mostly fonts, and not extra code, that increased the Japanese version's
> ROM footprint.

Oops, I forgot about the IME, which would add a lot of code and data in
addition to the fonts. The Casiopeia, which uses a Hitachi SH3 RISC
chip, has a ROM size of 4MB for the English version. The ROM size jumps
to 24 MB with the addition of the Japanese handwriting recognition IME
and two Japanese fonts and perhaps other stuff.

--
Adrian Havill <URL:http://www.threeweb.ad.jp/>
Engineering Division, System Planning & Production Section