Re: Unicode end-users

From: Martin J. Duerst (mduerst@ifi.unizh.ch)
Date: Sun Aug 03 1997 - 10:29:46 EDT

On Sun, 3 Aug 1997, Christopher Hogan wrote:

> What we really need is an input method toolkit, or wizard, that would
> enable a non-sophisticated user to develop input methods for their
> favorite languages. Not to play OS-favorites, but Mule emacs does
> have a framework for entering new input methods (called quail), and
> while it does not look to be a trivial task, it certainly seems like
> something I would investigate if I were sufficiently interested in a
> certain unsupported language.

There is a nice keyboard resource editor, surely easier to use than quail,
on the Mac. Just drag-and-drop your letters onto the keys you want them.
I'm sure something similar exists somewhere for Windows.

Quail is a little bit more powerful in terms of letter combinations
(for examlpe to input Korean Hangul), but it doesn't go as far as
covering Japanese or Chinese ideographic input. At some point, you
need to be able to specify keyboard behaviour programmatically, and
that's not something for the end user.

Regards, Martin.