Re: SGML DESCSET for XML, HTML (was: XML and ISO 10646 ...)

From: Martin J. Duerst (mduerst@ifi.unizh.ch)
Date: Wed Aug 13 1997 - 05:14:16 EDT

On Tue, 12 Aug 1997, John Cowan wrote:

> Since a fully correct DESCSET declaration for the codepoints of
> ISO 10646 as amended would require in excess of 65536 declarations,
> I propose the following compromise for XML and HTML. Members of
> those mailing lists are urged to pass this suggestion on.

Hello John,

I appreciate your work. However, I have to say that I think
eliminating these vew codepoints is really not worth the
trouble. Something really substantially more useful than the
current declaration would have to filtre out ALL unused
codepoints. Because this would necessitate updating the SGML
declaration every time new characters are added, we canīt
do it. I suggest to leave the syntax as is, and to change the
comment to be more general. I can propose wording as soon as
I am back home and can type faster.

Regards, Martin.