Re: Ligaturing (was: Yet Another I-Dotting Proposal)

From: Martin J. Dürst (
Date: Mon Aug 18 1997 - 10:54:04 EDT

On Thu, 14 Aug 1997, Giles S Martin wrote:

> English probably doesn't have the same rules as German for compound
> words. Both "ruffled" and "cuffless" would use the "ffl" ligature,
> although hyphenation rules woul be different (partly because "ruffled"
> is a monosyllabic word) -- no hyphen in "ruffled", as compared with "cuff-
> less".

English seems to use similar rules, too. Or maybe they are not rules,
but just good typographic practice. See e.g. the "shelfful" example
in the TeX book, Chapter 5, page 19 (by Donald E. Knuth).

Regards, Martin.

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.2 : Tue Jul 10 2001 - 17:20:36 EDT