Is it a font or an encoding?

From: Randy Williams (sasrsw@wnt.sas.com)
Date: Tue Sep 09 1997 - 09:22:50 EDT

Folks,

  This is not directly a Unicode question, but I hope people
don't mind my posting this here.

  I hope you can settle a debate I am having with a co-worker.

  Given a font that is ship on Windows where this font has various
glyphs replaced in the 0x80 - 0x9F range with 22 "Box Drawing"
characters. These are the 22 "Box Drawing" characters that are
found in cp850 on IBM PC and are found in U+2500 plane of Unicode.
These 22 "Box Drawing" characters do not exist in Windows cp1252
encoding. So the replacement is done to add those characters to the
font and the font otherwise is exactly like cp1252.

  One of us claims that this font has effectively created a new
encoding. The other claims that this is just a new font. Which
is it?

Thanks,
Randy

                   Randolph S. Williams