Re: Communicator Unicode

From: Charles Wicksteed (charles.wicksteed@reuters.com)
Date: Fri Sep 12 1997 - 06:26:15 EDT

Adrian Havill wrote:

>I'm curious to know why UCS-2 wasn't included in its support, as the
>most commonly available (primitive, but still the most common) Unicode
>editor in the world today is the Windows NT's NOTEPAD.EXE.

Navigator 4.01a (on Win95, the only platform I've tried) does support
UCS-2, both big-endian and little-endian, if a Byte Order Mark is
included. It is such a distinctive byte pattern that Netscape decided
to make detection automatic, and no option for UCS-2 is given on the
Encoding menu.

Don't include a "META...charset" tag in the file: that seems to confuse
it.

Don't ask me how I generate the test files (well, do ask me, but privately)
but it involves Perl scripts.

Charles

Reuters Ltd.