Re: missing glyph `dotlessj'

From: John Fieber (jfieber@indiana.edu)
Date: Wed Sep 17 1997 - 10:22:43 EDT

On Tue, 16 Sep 1997, Kenneth Whistler wrote:

> I must emphatically second Mark Leisher's comment on this
> exchange.
>
> *The combining accents are not a mistake.*
>
> They are in Unicode by design, are implemented now in many
> vendors' software, and are not going away.

And they are essential for dealing with some odd situations for
which allocating pre-composed characters would simply be silly.
For instance, my wife is working with a bunch of Navajo
materials, many which were produced before linguists and
anthropologists came to any sort of agreement on a way to write
Navajo. In this early stuff, there are all sorts of bizarre
diacritics which can be handled nicely by composition. Would a
pre-composed character be warranted just because one or two
anthropologists used them in one or two books? I doubt it.

-john