Re: Communicator Unicode

From: John Gardiner Myers (jgmyers@netscape.com)
Date: Wed Sep 17 1997 - 14:07:04 EDT

David Goldsmith wrote:
> I was planning to write a new RFC to replace 1641 and register the UTF-16
> character set, but I'm not going to bother until the IANA charset
> registration procedure gets unstuck.

Note that UTF-16 is not going to be a legal charset for text/plain or
any other subtype of the text top-level type, as it does not meet the
requirement in section 4.1.1 in RFC 2046. Section 4.1.2 suggests that
this will not prevent UTF-16 from being registered, as the label will be
useful in other contexts.

If there is a desire to use UTF-16 in MIME, it will require either a
subtype of application or a new top-level type. I would suggest that
such a new type do away with the "charset" parameter and simply specify
that the contents are in UTF-16.