Re: Seeking Hebrew character 'shuruq'

From: Michael Everson (everson@indigo.ie)
Date: Fri Sep 19 1997 - 09:59:15 EDT

Ar 04:01 -0700 1997-09-19, scríobh Keld J|rn Simonsen:

>As I see it WG2 is looking very closely to the opinions of the
>standards body(ies) that are the main users of scripts/characters.
>Viz the hangul case, the danish/norwegian AE case, the extended han
>case. The national bodies in question all got their will in
>some controversial issues.

Well, Ireland has already protested about the insertion of multiple
transcription systems for Hangul names, which occurred because Korea wanted
it, not because it was good for the standard or for users of the standard.
That was a Bad Thing.

My understanding about the Danish/Norwegian/Icelandic!/Faroese!/English!
letter AE was that its appearance as LIGATURE rather than letter was
claimed to have been a change in the DIS which had not been agreed in
committee, which is why it was changed -- not because one or more national
bodies wanted it their way.

They wanted it their way because it is the right identification of the
character, but it is procedures which got the change made.

--
Michael Everson, Everson Gunn Teoranta
15 Port Chaeimhghein Íochtarach; Baile Átha Cliath 2; Éire (Ireland)