Re: Etruscan

From: Michael Everson (everson@indigo.ie)
Date: Tue Nov 04 1997 - 08:49:09 EST

Ar 03:09 -0800 1997-11-04, scríobh Martin J. Dürst:
>On Mon, 3 Nov 1997, Michael Everson wrote:
>
>> Ar 01:04 -0800 1997-11-03, scríobh Martin J. Dürst:
>>
>> >For Etruscan as well as Hieroglyphs,..., the situation is almost the
>> >same. RTL is more frequent in the ancient texts, LTR seems more
>> >popular for mixed scholarly texts.
>>
>> This is NOT true for Egyptian. Both directions are frequently used in
>> Egyptian of all periods.
>
>Which would be an additional argument to making a lot of these
>scripts LTR, wouldn't it?

In principle, yes.

>Of course I know that it's impossible to have all RTL characters
>within U+0580-U+7FF. But it would be a good idea if all the RTL
>scripts in Plane 1 went close together, and some reserved space
>be kept closeby for newly encoded RTL scripts. That would make
>it easier for software to do the right thing.

That is the current plan, though the Roadmap doesn't I think do this
perfectly. Some RTL archaic scripts are intended for the BMP precisely
because it is convenient to keep them all together.

--
Michael Everson, EGT * http://www.indigo.ie/egt
15 Port Chaeimhghein Íochtarach; Baile Átha Cliath 2; Éire (Ireland)