Re: Is "Unicode" a registered trademark?

From: Rick McGowan (rmcgowan@apple.com)
Date: Tue Mar 17 1998 - 20:26:41 EST

Adrian --

No doubt you'll get an official response from someone with more knowledge...
 But the bottom line is: YES, Unicode is a registered trademark in the US
and some other countries. More specific info is on the web site at
"unicode.org".

There is another company called Unicode ".com" with whom the Consortium has
a trademark usage agreement... and I'm sure someone else with a legal
background can fill you in on all of the legal niceties of
"mutual-non-agression pacts" between companies sharing a trademarked name in
different fields of business...

> Can a software package brag on the outside of it's wrapping about supporting
> UTF-8, etc., without permission from UTC?

The short answer to this question is "no, you may not use the trademark
without permission any more than you can someone else's trademark." The
longer answer is that the Consortium will LICENSE use of the Unicode logo,
under some circumstances. Details are spelled out on the web site, and you
can write to the e-mail address listed at the web site for further licensing
info. Try this to start with:

        http://www.unicode.org/unicode/consortium/logo.html

That's my NON-LEGAL off-the-cuff answer, so don't quote me.

        Rick