Re: "Eyebrow Repha" (Marathi and other languages)

From: Timothy Partridge (timpart@perdix.demon.co.uk)
Date: Wed Mar 25 1998 - 08:02:46 EST

Jim Agenbroad said:
> At R5 on page 6-39 ZWJ is used with Devanagari for one purpose; at
> figure 6-15, on page 6-37 ZWJ is used with Devanagari for another purpose.
> Both are valid purposes, but how would rendering software ascertain which
> purpose was intended?

Surely there is no ambiguity. On page 6-37 ZWJ is used to create
half-consonant forms of consonants, rather than the usual behviour. On page
6-39 ZWJ is used to create the half-consonant form of RA, namely the
eyelash-RA. Isn't R5 simply confirming that RA does have a half-consonant
form and showing what it looks like?

Quote with emphasis added:
R5 If the dead consonant RAd precedes ZERO WIDTH JOINER, then the
   *half consonant* form RAh, known as eyelash-RA, is used instead of
   RAsup. This form of RA is commonly used in writing certain languages
   such as Marathi.

 Tim

--
Tim Partridge. Any opinions expressed are mine only and not those of my employer