Re: Does the Unicode version of Window File I/O function works on Win95/8 ?

From: John O'Conner (jso@qad.com)
Date: Fri Jul 10 1998 - 01:51:49 EDT

Win32 APIs are available in Unicode and ANSI versions. The Unicode
functions have a 'W' appended to them and the ANSI functions have an 'A'
appended. Both *A and *W functions are available in NT 4.0. In general,
Windows 95 does not support the Unicode versions. However, there are a few
exceptions.

Microsoft's own support documents
(http://premium.microsoft.com/msdn/library/backgrnd/html/msdn_apidiffs.htm)
say that the following functions have Unicode versions on both NT 40 and
Windows 95:

* MultiByteToWideChar
* WideCharToMultiByte
* EnumResourceLanguages
* EnumResourceNames
* EnumResourceTypes
* ExtTextOut
* FindResource
* FindResourceEx
* GetCharWidth
* GetCommandLine
* GetTextExtentExPoint
* GetTextExtentPoint32
* GetTextExtentPoint
* lstrlen
* MessageBoxEx
* MessageBox
* TextOut

I personally know that MultiByteToWideChar, WideCharToMultiByte, and
TextOutW work on Windows 95. However, it looks like what you want isn't
here. You'll have to use WideCharToMultiByte to get text strings suitable
to pass to the non-Unicode (native encoded) APIs.

Regards,
John O'Conner

ftang@netscape.com on 07/09/98 04:57:40 PM

Please respond to unicode@unicode.org