Re: Round trip mapping - SJI S to Unicode

From: Abhishek Kumar Mishra (amishra@adobe.com)
Date: Mon Aug 24 1998 - 15:57:17 EDT

At 04:35 AM 8/21/98 -0700, Smita Desai [InConcert Software Engineer] wrote:

It does not matter because the characters are just duplicates.
For e.g. in the case of 0x879c --> Ux222a --> 0x81be, 0x879c, Ux222a and
0x879c represent the same character. 0x879c and 0x81be are just duplicates.

Hope that helps.
Regards,
Abhishek

>Hello,
>
>I would appreciate if someone could if possible, offer any background
information or workarounds to the following.

>According to Microsoft KnowledgeBase article Q170559, there are 398
characters that do inaccurate round trip mapping, between SJIS and Unicode.
Some of the examples are as follows:
>Code page 932
>
>0x879c --> Ux222a --> 0x81be
>0xed40 --> Ux7e8a --> 0xfa5c
>0xed41 --> Ux819c --> 0xfa5d
>
>According to that article, these are duplicates that do not round trip map
and were added for NEC needs.

>Does anyone have any background info? Is the only solution to create a
table in the code, which would have a bad performance hit? If these are
duplicates, then does it matter that they do not round trip map?

>Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>Smita Desai
>

>Smita Desai