RE: Latin 1 Western-Eurocentric?

From: Chris Pratley (chrispr@microsoft.com)
Date: Thu Aug 27 1998 - 03:33:04 EDT

Not only are those IMEs in NT5 not going away, NT5 Beta 2 includes the
latest versions of them all, so they are no longer <brain-dead> to quote the
gentleman.

If you don't have access to NT5, you can also try
http://www.microsoft.com/ie/ie40/ime.htm

This installs a modified version of the original (brain-dead) Win95 Japanese
IME95 (and other languages) on any version of Win9x or NT4. It works only in
Internet Explorer4, Outlook Express and Outlook98 HTML mail for now, but
more applications will support it over time, such as Word2000. Since it is
supported directly by mshtml.dll, if you are creating a custom HTML editing
application using the Interent Explorer software developers kit I believe
you pick up this support for free, but don't quote me.

Regarding the last letter of Alain's name, another way to enter it in
several apps is to type Ctrl + singlequote, then e.

You can use AutoCorrect in any Office app and AutoText in Word to do what
Glen is describing. Simply type in an abbreviation of the full text you want
entered, and add it plus the full text to your AutoCorrect list. Word's
AutoText is fancier, since you can put entire chunks of Word documents in
the AutoText list. Of course, it would be great if you could do this
system-wide. Sounds like a great opportunity for third-party developers to
create such a utility.

Cheers,
Chris Pratley
Lead Program Manager