Re: New Oriya characters?

From: Jeroen Hellingman (etmjehe@genesis.etm.ericsson.se)
Date: Fri Sep 04 1998 - 02:50:09 EDT

The first (ba with dot in the middle) I have seen in some
charts, appearantly to represent the letter va unambigiously,
but I'll have to consult my documentation at home to be sure.
This will need to be added to the standard.

The second is a combination of vowel u and secondary ba, sometimes
used to represent the sound w in foreign loan words. it can be
included as a sequence LETTER-U, VIRAMA, LETTER-BA.

The third, I've also seen, but don't know the exact meaning.
It can simply be represented by LETTER-CA + NUKTA.

I've several books on writing Indian minority scripts in Devanagari
or Bengali, which also include a number of additional matras.
Unfortunately, I don't
have the books here (they are still in India), but I remember things
as a circle below, standing bar in the position of the e matra,
combinations of the aa and u and uu matras. I'll try to get the
relevant books send to me. Curious is also the proposed use of only
the a vowel, with the matras applied to it to get the other
initial vowels, as proposed for some languages.

Jeroen Hellingman