Re: Strange UTF-8 in Java

From: John Cowan (cowan@locke.ccil.org)
Date: Tue Sep 29 1998 - 14:38:42 EDT

Rick McGowan wrote:

> Apparently they persist.

They do, for the reasons I gave (or so everyone supposes; conceivably
they do it to impress Jodie Foster).

> Too bad they decided to unleash this
> non-conforming blankety-blank on everyone. It would be nice if they
> documented it a non-conforming with a big skull and cross-bones. Or maybe
> they do. Is there such a thing as documentation for Java?

The behavior is well-documented, the reasons for the behavior not.
More than one organization has been guilty of *that*.

Anyway, as I said, the proper classes for converting bytes to
characters (and vice versa) support proper RTF-8, along with various other
conversions.