Re: Terminal Graphics Draft 2

From: Alain LaBont\i\ (alb@sct.gouv.qc.ca)
Date: Fri Oct 09 1998 - 18:07:59 EDT

A 10:45 98-10-09 -0700, Kenneth Whistler a écrit :
>Incidentally, there is another pile of graphic symbols for keyboard
>functions coming down the pike in Amendment 22 to 10646 (based on
>ISO 9995-7). These should be checked to verify that there are no
>duplicates against the collection of symbols being proposed for
>terminal emulation. (Examples: symbols for compose, enter, alternate,
>shift lock, undo, print screen, clear screen, delete, etc.)

   [Alain] :
   Over the years (this has been waiting since at least 1994), ISO/IEC
JTC1/SC18/WG9, then ISO/IEC JTC1/WG5 (just transformed into ISO/IEC SC35),
has been forced by SC2/WG2 to check if its collection of symbols had no
doubles in the published ISO/IEC 10646-1 (and Unicode). This was carefully
checked. Doubles were removed at an early stage.

   Now if others have proposed something else for terminal emulation,
*they* should have to show the evidence themselves. Please do not ask
JTC1/SC35 to redo that exercise, they did it many times and they were
extremely patient so far! I know that Ken does not ask that to us (of SC35)
but who knows if others could not be tempted to ask this again?

Alain LaBonté
Québec