Re: Terminal Graphics Draft 2

From: Frank da Cruz (fdc@watsun.cc.columbia.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 12 1998 - 10:44:22 EDT

> Frank da Cruz wrote on 1998-10-11 23:32 UTC:
> > > U+235C APL FUNCTIONAL SYMBOL CIRCLE UNDERBAR.
> >
> > Well I'll be darned -- that's it exactly, at least in appearance. So
> > goodbye to this chracter from the proposal. (And thanks for spotting it --
> > I don't know how I could have missed it.)
> >
> > The fate of "large lowercase a with underbar" is also doubtful, unless
> > someone from SNI or from the Siemens Nixdorf user community provides a
> > reason to keep it. Principle is one thing, utility is another.
>
> How about
>
> U+2376 APL FUNCTIONAL SYMBOL ALPHA UNDERBAR
>
> In many lowres fonts, a small alpha and one of the common variants of
> writing a small latin a are indistinguishable.

This one is, of course, a fallback possibility, but the SNI glyph is
definitely a lowercase Roman letter "a" and not a lowercase Greek letter
"alpha". In any case, I have indeed found the right persons at SNI and
am waiting for clarification from them.

> Does this set try to cover all symbols needed for APL?

I am assuming that APL is already covered in Unicode.

- Frank