RE: Terminal Graphics Proposal

From: Jonathan Rosenne (rosenne@netvision.net.il)
Date: Sat Oct 17 1998 - 05:19:57 EDT

At 10:04 16/10/98 -0700, Lisa wrote:
>Ahem. I would like someone to help me understand the purpose of this
>proposal. Apparently many folks want a fuller set of terminal emulator
control
>pictures. It is not clear to me how these are very useful. If one wishes to
>be in the mode of displaying all charaters in a datastream, controls and all,
>how are these control pictures used? Is a control code mapped to the control
>picture and then mapped to a value in a font? How is this a big
advantage? Is
>it the hope that if the control pictures are encoded, a fuller and more
>standard set of glyphs will be developed?

In the old days we didn't have fonts and colors. This day and age, if I
were to display the data stream, I would use color and font to distinguish
controls - represented in hexa or by name - and data.

I don't consider terminal emulation to include setup modes and debugging
modes. Terminal emulation means, in my thinking, representing the data and
to a limited extent the keyboard. The keyboard should not be fully emulated
because the users want it no to be - they usually want the keyboard to
behave like in other current applications, not like it used to be on
hardware that went out of use long ago.

Jony