Re: I18n issue: French family names with "de"

From: Alain LaBont\i\ (alb@sct.gouv.qc.ca)
Date: Fri Oct 23 1998 - 15:19:49 EDT

A 06:39 98-10-23 -0700, John Cowan a écrit :
>Alain LaBonté wrote:
>
>>> De Gaulle is by no means monosyllabic in French (Gaulle it self is
composed
>>> of 2 syllables).
>
>I meant, of course, the part of the name after the "de", and if
>"Gaulle" has two syllables, we have different definitions of
>"syllable".

[Alain] :
I was suspecting this since a long time.

All French-speaking pupils are taught (at least when I went to school) what
is a syllable in the French language in their 1st year of elementary school
and "Gaulle" has indeed 2 syllables in French, no doubt about that: "Gaul"
and "le".

Young children in my youth would have been spelling it : G-A-U-L-GAUL
L-E-LE GAULLE.

I think that nowadays they have simplified and they no longer spell the
syllables out (it looked like brain-washing embrigadment indeed!), but I
guess that they all still know what is a syllable in French.

No doubt.

Alain
from magic Israël