Re: LINE/PARAGRAPH SEPARATOR semantics in terminal emulators

From: Markus Kuhn (Markus.Kuhn@cl.cam.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Nov 03 1998 - 04:41:46 EST

Paul Keinanen wrote on 1998-11-03 07:18 UTC:
> While on a hardcopy device the FF and PS should have the same semantics
> (move past the paper perforation on a tractor feed system or load a new
> sheet of paper), I hope that this is not taken as an example to justify
> using on display devices (nearly) the same semantics for PS as for FF on
> VT-100 series terminals.

Sorry, there was a silly typo in my first mail: PS stands of course for
PARAGRAPH SEPARATOR and not page separator. Therefore, FF and PS should
certainly not have the same semantics on hardcopy devices. UTR #13
recommends that Unicode plaintext files preferably use the control
sequences

  LS LINE SEPARATOR
  PS PARAGRAPH SEPARATOR
  FF FORM FEED (as a page separator)