Re: LINE/PAGE SEPARATOR semantics in terminal emulators

From: Otto Stolz (Otto.Stolz@uni-konstanz.de)
Date: Tue Nov 03 1998 - 09:17:21 EST

Am 1998-11-02 um 15:27 h hat Markus Kuhn geschrieben:
> I suggest that such a technical report should roughly specify the
> following cursor control actions to be associated for these control
> characters (talking about left-to-right mode here only at the moment):
> CR: column=1
> LF: column=1, row++
> FF: column=1, row++
> LS: column=1, row++
> PS: column=1, row+=2

Am 1998-11-03 um 1:40 h hat Markus Kuhn geschrieben:
> PS stands of course for PARAGRAPH SEPARATOR and not page separator.

I agree to the proposed semantics for CR, LF, LS, and PS. This would also
handle correctly the widely exploited CR-LF convention.

However, for FF, I'd prefer the following semantics:
  FF: wait; column=1, row=1; clear;
where:
  wait : wait for some system-dependend acknowledgment from the user,
         e. g. hitting a particular key,
         or for some user-definable time, defaulting to about 10 sec
  clear: clear from current position to end of the screen

Best wishes,
   Otto Stolz